Thursday, March 03, 2005

Kansahamnida...

“Teacher, this is Joon...”

I was so elated upon hearing him on the other end of the line... I nearly jumped for joy.

I just received a call from Joon, one of my 1st batch of students. For a 13 year old to do that, it was so overwhelming for me. He called all the way from Korea. When they were still here, a number of my students asked for my cellphone number and email address and told me that they would call me when they go back to their country. I did not expect that one of them would really call.

I guess I’m beginning to experience now the simple joys of teaching. Receiving a call from my student, or even emails, gives me an overwhelming feeling... People might think I am so assuming, but really, it makes me think and feel that they appreciated me well and that I’ve been a good teacher to them.

Perhaps I became really attached to my students even if we’ve been together for almost two months only. I miss them badly soon after they left. I tried to communicate with them thru email, but to no avail! I nearly gave up. I guess that was it. I was ready to accept that I would never see them ever again or even hear from them, until the day Joon called. I regret it so much not being able to give them anything, even a simple note, as a souvenir. But as one of my co-teachers told me, “The knowledge you’ve imparted to them is sufficient enough for them to forever remember you.” True enough, I feel, they appreciated me that much.

I hope to see them again in the near future... I hope they would not only remember the pollution here in the Philippines, the BIG cockroaches, and all the mosquitoes that have been with them since they set foot in this country... I’m sure they had lots of fun and happy memories too which would want them to go back to this beautiful country.

"…For the two months we’ve spent together without thinking much of the language barrier... for the snacks we’ve shared... for the smiles we gave to one another... I did not only help you improve your English knowledge... I was also improved... you made me a better person."

So to all my students, KANSAHAMNIDA... in my native language... MARAMING SALAMAT!

(Betty... thanks also for sending emails even if you’re busy. I am still awaiting for the others to keep in touch with me... I really miss you all...)

No comments: