Friday, July 03, 2009

Big 1

This was the very same day that I left the Philippines a year ago.

Even before I was able to set foot in the airport, it already dawned on me that things will never be the same again. Nothing was certain…nothing was clear. I left with nothing but hope and my deep prayers in hand.

For the first time, I was at the airport last year, not as a well-wisher, but the one being sent away. It was hard to leave because I would be leaving the life that I used to have for 27 years of my life. I would be thousands of miles away from my family and loved ones, indefinitely. I left everything behind to fulfill my so-called American dream. To add more drama into it, I got engaged in the middle of people lining up to get their passports and tickets checked at the entrance of the airport.

A year has just passed…

I’ve been through so many ups and downs.
I’ve been sick and well.
I went from engaged to being single.
I’ve been happy and sad.

But most important of all, I was blessed just tremendously. Let me count some of my blessings here:

I used to be jobless, but now, I have work even on weekends.

I went from tourist, to student, and soon, God-willingly, to working visa.

I have my very adorable, smart, and fun-loving, not to mention handsome nephew, Leon, who never fails to lift me up with his very contagious and jaw-locking smile and laughter.

Free board and lodging all this time in NY! Thanks to my sis and bro-in-law, from whom Leon inherited his good looks (ahem..)

I am able to help my family little by little. God also made me able to send Daf to school.

I am continuously improving myself in a lot of ways.

I am given the wonderful opportunity to experience life here in the so-called land of milk and honey, and see for myself if the grass is really greener here on this side.

And the list goes on and on and on... These and so much more are reasons enough to be grateful to the Lord.

"1" is such a big number for me.

There’s just so much in one... so much blessings in just one year.

1 comment:

Boots said...

I am so happy for you!
This entry inspired me.
God bless you jam!