Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Jinx

I hope I’m not.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend told me about his plans of proposing to his Pinay girlfriend. He will be flying to Canada, where she is working, to propose on her birthday. I asked him how he’s going to do it and even gave him an idea - how he could make it even more special. Since he speaks English and maybe a couple of other languages, but Filipino, I offered to translate what he was planning to tell his girlfriend to my native language, which he thought to be a great idea.

Fast forward...

He did propose to her last Saturday in a very special and I should say, unique way, as he described to me what transpired. He also successfully delivered his speech in Filipino, with, of course, a little bit of help from his cue cards. Anyway, long story short, she accepted and agreed to marry him.

I thought everything was perfect until I heard the three-letter but dreadful word “BUT”... You wouldn’t want to hear this teeny tiny word especially after so many positive things because this very seemingly small word could ruin just about everything.

Nevertheless, I was just expecting (and hoping for) a minor setback. After all, he seemed just fine when we were just starting to talk. However, what he said next shocked me...

He just broke up with her this morning, when he was at the airport, waiting for his flight back to NY. It was, well, believe it or not, the girlfriend’s fault.

I felt sorry for what happened. And somehow, illogical and funny as it may seem, I felt sorry too because I thought, maybe, just maybe, I was a jinx. Mine once failed and it gets me into thinking, ‘he shouldn’t have told me of his plans!’ I have my own story of a fairy tale gone bad you know.

I know! It doesn’t follow! Of course I’m not totally serious. I’m just playing! I know this is silly. But well, friends…maybe it wouldn’t hurt not to tell me when you’re planning to propose to your special someone. Don’t even ask for my help nor accept advice or suggestions from me. Please. Do yourself a favor. There’s no harm if you won’t. You don’t want to be jinxed, do you? : j

-July 27, 2009-

2 comments:

Wanderer Lady said...

you're not a jinx. :D mwah! love you!

Boots said...

omg jam. haha

you're not a jinx!

i hope.

haha

joke.

mwah