Monday, July 06, 2009

Just for laughs

I’m almost 28… and clumsy.

‘Guess you don’t just outgrow clumsiness. Haha

I remember some of the funny (but painful!) instances that I demonstrated my gracefulness, in all the glory of ITS REVERSE.

As far as I can recall, one instance happened when I was still a naïve and innocent looking, not to mention single (since birth!), office girl strutting my stuff along Ayala Avenue on my way to my workplace on 6788. I used to wear an above the knee, pencil-cut butt hugging (as if I had a butt like J.Lo’s!) skirt as a uniform. Can you imagine how dreadful it was for me (and for the other girls out there) to commute, chase after FX taxis and buses in Metro Manila, Mondays thru Thursdays. Oh how I just love Fridays! Anyway, the thing that happened to me didn’t come about while I was trying to catch a ride. It happened actually as soon as I alighted from the FX on Ayala Avenue cor. Paseo de Roxas. After getting off, I closed the door and the first and last thing I saw was an opening on the side of the road, then…BLAAAAG! I probably lost my balance, twisted my ankle, tripped and then fell to the ground. I had no idea what just happened to me! For one second I forgot who and where I was. But the moment I got back to my senses, I got up as quickly as I could, ignored my bleeding knees, and walked without looking back, as if nothing happened. Seriously, all that I was able to mutter to myself was, “kaya nyo yun?”

Next location, 6788 building. I was going to a client that day on my own. As always, I would wait for the company’s black Mercedes Benz car service (sosyal pa naman!) in the back entrance of the building. Walking out of the building full of poise and confidence, again, wearing my butt-hugging uniform and my 3-inch stiletto, I started to get down the stairs slowly and carefully. I wasn’t even on a rush so I just took my time. While getting down, I was actually asking myself, what if I fall down from here? What will I do? Will anyone help me? I wonder, it would be such a shame! No kidding, but I was actually thinking about that possibility during that time! And as if fate wanted to give me answers, can you guess what happened next? Yes, from the 3rd or 4th step (do you still expect me to remember?!) of a probably 10-step staircase, I fell aaaall the way down. It rocked my world big time! I just saw the guard running towards my direction. And even before he could help me, I was back on my feet. All that he was able to say was, “Ang bilis ni ma’am ah!” I just laughed, but deep inside I was soooooo embarrassed. Who wouldn’t be?

And last but not the least, who would have thought I can’t be clumsy in NY?! It actually just happened about an hour ago. I came home late, around 10:30 PM, and as usual, when I got off the bus, I started to search for my cellphone in my “sizeable” bag, just to be ready, in case. I was quite in a hurry because there were no other people on the street and I had to walk about 3 blocks. Then suddenly, KABLAG! I fell to the ground (again?!) and hurt my elbow, knees and my toes. Luckily, there was no wound! Just plain scratches. I was still holding on to my belongings, which were actually the first things that came to my mind... “oh, my laptop...my Nine West bag...I hope they didn’t have any scratch… hahaha (my 3-year old cellphone wasn’t much of a concern though). I was just relieved to see when I turned back that no one was following me, and no one actually saw me! I was even thankful that I have already passed by the house which I believe has a security camera, because it lights up on the outside whenever someone passes by. Otherwise, my bloopers would have been probably caught on cam!

Haaayyyy... I can only go back to these blunders and laugh at myself…

“Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.” ~Kurt Vonnegut

2 comments:

Boots said...

I love it that you are able to laugh at yourself.
I also loved the way you told your stories. I found it funny. (though I think I shouldn't really laugh at the expense of others?) hihihi pero tumawa ka e, so ok lang. haha
be more careful, dear.

jAmiLaH said...

thanks bootsie!hehe ure free to laugh..i can just now laugh at myself remembering these.hehe